Tuesday, February 13, 2007

An afternoon with Open Source

I spent the afternoon doing research and printing items out. My first task was to get an excel spreedsheet off my thumb drive to record my findings. I put in the thumb drive and it popped up on the desktop pretty quickly. I double clicked on it and located the spreedsheet. When I double clicked the spreedsheet, it opened up in OpenOffice.org's Calc. Calc operted very similiar to Microsoft Excel for the operations I needed to perform. I modified borders, inserted and deleted rows, and highlighted some cells. It took me a minute to figure out how to highlight cells. It ended up being a button in the toolbar labeled Background Color. Calc would not allow me to modify the borders on multiple selections either. I (later) ended up putting the file back in Excel to perform this function.

Next I launched Firefox and located some resources on the internet. The only problem I encountered with that is Firefox does not have an option that I could find to do a print right from the print preview screen. I had to close the screen and then go to the file menu again to print the page out. I also could not do a print preview on a page while something was printing.

Overall there were not many quirks in the process though.

No comments: