Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Great Site

While browsing through the list of top ten Ubuntu apps, I saw many command lines for apt-get. I decided to try some of the commands out in a terminal window. I was given permission denied on everything. The terminal returned an error message that it could not open a locked file. The last line stated Are you Root?

So doing the logical thing, I maneuvered through the directories until I got to the root directory and ran the command again. It didn't work. I remembered from installing other things that many of the commands I used before had sudo before them so I tried sudo apt-get and it asked for my password then it performed the install.

I was curious now. What on earth did SUDO do? I did a Google search on the subject (sorry don't remember what I typed and didn't write it down) and found this GREAT page. http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/ It explains the different ways how to install things in Ubuntu. I wish I had been told about this site before I started out! It would have saved me light years of trouble.

In any case, I still don't know exactly what SUDO means, but it grants the command temporary Super User administrator rights provided that you supply the correct password.

So there you go... I thought that was cool and you definitely want to check out the page if you are going to use Ubuntu.

No comments: