Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Open Office Not Impressive

A new phenomenon occurred when I booted my computer this morning. I got an error message stating "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon" Then it gave possible causes and effects of the error followed by the reassurance "GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in". I told it okay and went about my business without any hitches. Again mostly e-mail since I had meetings and taught a class today.

I went back and did the presentation assignment from class and used Open Office Impress to do it. At first glance this was a very much PowerPoint environment, but when I got to playing with the addition of new slides, things fell apart. The easiest way I found to add a new slide was to right click on the slide layout I wanted and select new slide. I had a slide with one layout and forgot to right click. It applied a new layout over top of the previous layout. The result was that I had a slide with text at the top and a chart then over top of that I had a title slide (i undid it before filling in the title, but I could have)

The chart was not intuitive on first glance. Since there wasn't a requirement to figure out how to use the chart I just exited out keeping the default data. I might have to use a chart at another date and if I do I'll let you know how it goes.

So it wasn't a bad experience, but I didn't see any major benefit to swapping from the evil poison that is PowerPoint to the equally bad if not worse poison that is O.O. Impress.

No comments: