Friday, February 9, 2007

Setting up the Printer

The setup for the printer would have been easier than Windows if I had known what I was looking at. I selected the System menu from the top nav bar then picked Administration from the drop down menu. From here I selected Printing and a new window popped up. I double clicked the new printer icon and a dialog box appeared. I selected Network Printer from the options since the printer is not attached to the computer.

Disaster struck when I changed the network option from CUPS since I don't have a clue what that means and selected Windows instead. I was bombarded with pop up windows asking me for the user name and password that I used to access various systems it was finding on the network. After cancelling many of them, I changed the option back to CUPS and decided to wing it.

In the box for URI, I put the IP address assigned to my printer and then clicked the forward button. I selected my printer manufacturer then the model from the drivers select window and clicked forward. It claimed my printer was all ready to go. I thought it was too easy so I told it to print a test page. The test page printed off the top of the sheet so I launched Firefox and browsed to a website and printed it. It printed very nicely.

I am quite surprised at how easy and fast it was. Plus one for Edubuntu...

No comments: