Monday, February 12, 2007

Web Page Updates and FTP

The first task I had this morning was to make some updates to a couple websites I maintain. I checked under the Network Menu under Applications and did not see an FTP client under there. Having learned from past experiences, I checked the ADD/Remove option first and performed a search for FTP. Several results were returned and I picked Gftp since it supports both SSH and FTP transfers. I applied the changes and it installed the program and alerted me that it had been added to Applications -> Internet.

I launched the program and filled out the boxes across the top with the requested information. I had a few problems with the Port number at first since it appears that it requires 21 for FTP and 22 for SSH. Once I figured that out though it was pretty easy to perform file transfers. I discovered that if I leave the port blank, it will choose the correct one. It was fairly easy to create folders and subfolders on the local disk and there were two clearly marked arrows in the middle of the window between the remote and local host for performing transfers.

I had noticed the "Text Editor" program under Applications -> Accesories when I was playing around earlier so I opened this application to modify the HTML files I had downloaded. The program was easy to use and it color coded the HTML tags as I worked with them. I could not get it to open a file by dragging and dropping unless another file was already open, but it remembered the last location I had opened from when I clicked the open button so it was easy to locate the files I was working with.

I did not encounter any errors or problems with the Web page update process.

No comments: