Thursday, February 15, 2007

Evolution (more of a backward progression)

I knew there was a reason why I had cringed when I saw "Evolution" as the e-mail client on Edubuntu. I had heard the name before but could not place it. Jay mentioned in class today that it worked better with the exchange system than Thunderbird and Bells went off. I had heard horror stories about trying to configure this client when we were working on migration tools. I found the online instructions at http://oit.utk.edu/exchange/unix/evolution_setup.php I couldn't follow the directions exactly because I had not set up Evolution previously, but I skipped to step 4 in the directions and everything was the same from there. I went through the steps and thought I had everything setup.

I launched Evolution and things looked okay. My mail came in as did my contacts. Things went quickly downhill from there. While trying to access my calendar and contacts the program froze up and Ubuntu generated a bug report for me. I launched it again and made it into my calendar, but could not open the GAL to view a shared calendar. I went back through the directions to make sure I had not missed something and could not figure anything out. I googled GAL over LDAP in Evolution and found nothing of use. I finally e-mailed the person that wrote the original directions and asked him for help. I haven't heard back yet.

So I am not at all pleased with Evolution. It looks like crap, runs like crap and probably isn't much more than that. I created another calendar just to play around and it won't delete it even though it says it is going to. It is slow. I get multiple errors almost every time I exit.

If you do not use the calendar in exchange, stick with Thunderbird. It was harder to install in Ubuntu, but is a much much nicer mail client!

If this is evolution, we are all doomed!