Friday, February 9, 2007

Installation in 6 not so easy steps

I created a backup DVD with all of the files I needed from the computer while it was runing Windows XP so that I could do a complete format of the hard drive before installation. After I had the DVD, I inserted the Edubuntu CD and rebooted the computer. When the desktop finally came up (about 5 minutes later) I double clicked the install icon on the desktop. There were 6 steps to the installation

Step 1 - I selected English from the list of languages and clicked the forward button

Step 2 - I tried to select a time zone, but the menu was a pain in the neck. It scrolled the entire height of my screen and continued down through several countries for about a mile. Tennesse was not in there so I picked Detriot which is on the same time zone. After I got mad at the menu, I started clicking on the map and learned that I could zoom in on an area and click a time zone node from the map. Next I tried to set the time. It was set to 3:00AM and it was already after 8:00 so I clicked on the 3 and typed 8 which it accepted. I then click ok and it set the time back to 3:00. I tried again with the same result. The third time I used the up arrow button and set it to 8:00. It liked that. With the time zone and time finally set, I clicked forward to continue

Step 3 - I selected the English Keyboard layout (actually that was the default) and hit forward to continue without making sure the keyboard worked as expected.

Step 4 - I filled in all the form fields (with top secret information that I can't tell you) to establish a user account on the computer and clicked the forward button to continue

Step 5 - I selected the option to erase the entire hard drive. (I don't think it did it because it was aweful quick about it. I think it just scratched the File System and Boot Partitions.) Then I clicked Forward to Continue

Step 6 - 10 minutes from the start of step 1 I was ready to confirm the setting and tell it to perform the install. I had to click next twice to get it moving. Maybe I missed the first time...?

The install took about a half hour to complete.

No comments: