Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Becoming a Linux Geek

First off, a little house keeping...

Updates: When I was ready to shut my computer down last night there were 4 updates totaling 9.8Mb waiting. When I booted up this morning there was an additional update (192Kb) waiting.

GAIM: Found an annoying quirk. When it goes into away mode, it does not automatically bring me back to available. The result is that I do not have alerts when I receive a message. I have to manually place myself into away mode then put myself back on available for things to work again.

Evolution: I took me a few minutes of searching to discover that the option for showing pictures in an e-mail is under "View" then "Load Images" I expected to be able to right click or click somewhere in the message like with other mail programs. When it wasn't that way, I looked under the "Message" menu first then went to searching all of the menus. I also received a meeting request yesterday that I clicked on accept multiple times, but nothing happened.

Now for the exciting news (okay, it really isn't, but I was pleased with myself). Armed with the knowledge from the website I cited yesterday (see A GREAT SITE) I decided to use the terminal to uninstall Licq. It worked out very well and, to me anyway, was more efficient then going into the package manager to remove it. It took out three of the components then gave me instructions on how to remove the last component that was no longer needed.

I issued the command 'sudo apt-get remove licq' The terminal window came back with some information among which was the line "The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer needed use apt-get remove automatic to remove them" so I issued that command and it removed the remaining package. It took alot less time than firing up the SPM and letting it refresh from the repositories, finding the application in the menu, applying the changes then letting it refresh again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?