Friday, February 16, 2007

Getting Comfortable

For most people the longer they use something the more comfortable they become with it no matter how alien it seemed at first. After a full week of using Ubuntu I am starting to feel comfortable with my common work tasks. I spent the morning responding to e-mails on various subjects and performing updates on a website I work on. I really liked the tab environment text editor for modifying the HTML files. In windows I would have several bars in the task bar and sometimes they would group without my wanting them to. Having the tabs built into the program is much better.

When I was done updating the files I needed to back them up to a re-writable CD. This is the first time I burned a data CD using the programs in Edubuntu. It worked very nicely. I inserted the CD and it asked me if I wanted an audio or data cd. I picked data and the CD/DVD creator File Browser appeared. I dragged the files I was working on into the window and once I had everything there I clicked the "write" button.

I still have complaints with Evolution. I have not heard back yet on getting the GAL to work. It beeps every time I get mail, but I liked the pop up preview that Outlook provided. Now I have to go into Evolution and scroll down to see my new messages which are mostly just junk anyway. It also beeps every time I delete a message!! It also did not import my distribution list which is not a big deal for me since I only have one and it only had 6 people in it, but that could be a much bigger problem for most of the people I know.