Tuesday, February 13, 2007

End of Day 3

I didn't really try anything much new with the computer today so things worked pretty well. I was worried about the USB drive working but it turned out to be not an issue.

I found a website that gives 10 cryptic steps for mounting the Zip drive properly. I have to figure out which IDE position it is on. I think it is the Primary Slave. Anyway, I'm saving that for tomorrow when I have more time. If the instructions work, I'll post the URL with the results.

I didn't get around to looking into the display today. That is on my list of things to do before this project ends though.

Before shutting down I checked for updates and there weren't any so I will probably not do that again unless I install new packages or Ubuntu alerts me that they are available.

Something that I find rather annoying is that when I tell Ubuntu to shut down my computer it powers off the hard drives and other resources, but it does not turn the computer completely off. The computer stays on and the Edubuntu splash screen remains displayed on my monitor until I hit the power button on the computer.

O'well Windows did that for a while too.

I can't wait to see what kinds of problems I can create when I try to get the ZIP drive working, but you know I'll share them here. Until then... so long.