Friday, February 23, 2007

End of Week 2

Two weeks into the project and I am okay with the OS and software on this machine. The machine itself is slow so I still revert to my other computer when I need things fast, but that has nothing to do with Ubuntu. I have found several pieces of software or things that I do with software that just are not quite duplicated with the software that is on this machine.

I like the GAIM Chat module okay. It has a built in spell checker which is an advantage over ICQ, but it is still lacking in many ways. Licq was just terrible.

Open office is okay, but there are a few things I am use to in MS Office that don't work the same in OO.

Evolution is just not very good. If it wasn't for the fact that my calendar and contacts actually work in there as opposed to Thunderbird, I would revert to Thunderbird without a second thought.

The videos on this thing are still grainy. Pictures appear okay, but it looks like there is something in the video decoder that is still lacking and I can't figure out what that is.

I don't like that I know very little about the actual OS. I am comfortable in the Windows environment and understand how to fix most of the things that go wrong. When things go wrong with this machine I have no idea where to even start to try to find a solution. I guess if I were new to computers and not already comfortable with Windows, I might find this all more appealing than I do, but that is not the case.

So far Edubuntu has been a fun new toy to experiment with, but the novelty is starting to wear off and some things are starting to really annoy me.

I said that I would continue to use the system and Blog my progress until the end of the semester so that is what I will do. If you (my loyal fan(s)) have any words of encouragement such as something I said actually helped you or if you have any sage advise to administer, feel free to post it. Until next week... adieux

No comments: